Enchanting Bologna is the capital of the Emilia-Romagna region. Situated in north-of-center Italy, fertile and lush, Emilia-Romagna is Italy’s “belly,” and worthy of a pilgrimage by any food enthusiast worth their salt. Bologna is its “navel”. Its monikers include “The Learned” for its ancient university—Europe’s oldest; “The Red” for its rosy rooftops and lefty-Bolshie leanings, and “The Fat One” for its culinary legacy. It has a vibrant historic center and is famed for its towers, churches and signature, lengthy porticoes.
This bespoke food tour in Bologna was designed for food and culture lovers alike and will take you on an incredible journey through Bologna’s–and the region’s–culinary legacy.
We’ll taste traditional freshly baked in-house goods at a buzzing institutional caffe’ and then travel through colorful streets, porticos, historical markets, cultural sites, family-run delis, rich flavors, fresh pastas and gelato to provide a comprehensive overview of this city’s culinary treasure chest. We’ll delight in a handful of Emilia-Romagna’s 40+ consortium protected DOP traditional products like mortadella, real deal Parmigiano-Reggiano, balsamic vinegar, prosciutto di parma and more. You’ll learn (and taste) Bologna’s world-loved pastas like tagliatelle and tortellini during a behind the scenes of a pasta making lesson at a local pasta laboratory. During this exclusive hands-on visit, you’ll be taught by local sfogline–pasta masters–teaching us how tortellini are made (and properly folded) as well as other hand-cut pastas like tagliatelle!
A visit to Bologna is a must for Italian food lovers and this tour a perfect opportunity for those who wish to have a comprehensive, flavorful culinary experience.
- Individual and small-group (6 max) guided food tour in Bologna
- Six food tastings; 2 wine tastings included.
- Nibble on famous Bolognese sweet pastries and sip local espresso
- Dive into Emilia-Romagna’s product pantry: several types of deli meats like culatello, prosciutto, mortadella, salami (pork-based) and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese tasting with locally produced dry Lambrusco
- Sip on local semi-sparkling wines: Lambrusco & Pignoletto
- Visit to a local pasta laboratory for a crash-course lesson of Bologna’s fresh pasta
- Learn how to fold tortellini and cut various pasta shapes
- Pasta tasting with wine! Taste Tagliatelle and Tortellini (or ricotta-filled tortelloni for vegetarians)
- Understand traditional, aged balsamic vinegar from Modena with a varied tasting at an old-fashioned family-run specialty goods shop, whose owner also produces the prized, umami-rich balsamic vinegar (this 6th stop not available on Sunday tours)
- Guided food-related cultural stops at select sites (i.e. market district)
- Discover the historical curiosities that have formed Bologna’s food culture
- Meet local characters and purveyors
- Revel in artisanal gelato and Bologna’s mark on the gelato world
Our food tour in Bologna is perfect for enthusiastic eaters, home cooks, history geeks, chefs, farm-to-table enthusiasts and seekers of genuine culture. After your tour, you will feel more confident to return to these shops and know what defines the local food landscape. Be prepared for an authentic backdoor journey through this very Italian food-centric city.
Logistics & Start Time
- Start time: 10 AM
- Days: Monday-Saturday (Sundays available only for private groups/min 4)
- Duration: 3 hours
- Inclusions: All tastings listed and entrance to the pasta lab for the demo, in-depth guided cultural food tour and personable, bilingual tour guide.
- Tour Cost: $160 per person (max 6)
- Private Tour Cost: Please Inquire. Cost depends on group size and request.
- Not included: Travel insurance, transport, additional tastings and trip cancellation insurance.
- Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided fine wine tastings, visits to gelato laboratory, visits behind-the-scenes at bakeries, etc.
Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided *expert* wine tastings, visits to gelato laboratory, visits behind-the-scenes at bakeries, cooking lessons in a private home in the center of Florence.
Please note: Sundays are a possibility but only for private groups at a premium rate depending on group size. The tours are designed for adults, so those traveling with children under 12 are encouraged to inquire about a private tour where we can bespoke the experience and select venues which are more kid-friendly.
We can accommodate virtually any food lifestyle choice (vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian etc). Just let us know how we can help.
If you would like to start later or earlier than the times listed OR have a party larger than 8, please send an inquiry to email@example.com.