Search

video-spacer

The 10th Annual Ciclismo Classico Bike Travel Film Festival

Good news! More amazing bicycle adventures are on tap for Spring 2020!

Greater Boston residents, save the first night of Spring for the 11th Annual Ciclismo Classico Bike Travel Film Festival. On Thursday, March 19th, you can celebrate the start of cycling season at the Regent Theatre in Arlington. We’ll be showing another amazing showcase of worldwide excitement…and all the beloved extras that come along with the show, from cookies to prizes and more!

We’re still lining up the dates at our additional locations, but here’s our rough schedule of the next year:

2019:

Saturday, December 7, 2019

One Longfellow Square, Portland, ME
Buy Tickets!

2020:

January TBD, Salem, MA

March 19th, Arlington, MA (First night of spring and 11th edition premiere!)

March 21st, Keene, NH

April 16th, Northampton, MA

April TBD: Saratoga Springs, NY

Fall TBD: Berkeley, CA

December TBD, Portland, ME

Note to Filmmakers:

All films must be submitted by January 31, 2020. For more submission guidelines or to submit your film, please see our Film Freeway Page!

Women, minorities, and families are especially encouraged to submit their films.

Not in Massachusetts?

We’re looking to expand the festival beyond our home and our partners in Western Mass and the North Shore. If you’d like to bring the Ciclismo Classico Bike Travel Film Festival to YOUR hometown, we want to hear from you!

We’ve been inspiring audiences in our home of Arlington, MA, since 2010, and we began our expansion to other communities in 2016. Over the past 4 seasons we’ve learned more about how to provide an excellent experience for our satellite theatres, and we’d love to see if the Festival is a fit for YOU!

Adventure Cycling kids and man

*Photo provided by Adventure Cycling

About the Festival:

The Festival’s mission is to inspire attendees to explore by bicycle. Whether across the globe or a few towns away, nothing recharges and expands horizons like bicycle travel. The Ciclismo Classico Bike Travel Film Festival is the ONLY film festival in the USA that focuses specifically on bicycle travel. The Festival commits itself to sharing a diverse array of journeys: adventure is for everyone.

Who can host a Festival?

Anyone who loves travel, bicycles, or both! So far we’ve had a wide array of hosts. We’ve had bike club leaders raising funds for their organization while providing a great activity for members (what a win-win!), bike shop owners, independent theatre owners, and occasionally people who just love bikes and travel – we have a high-level oncologist who hosts because he wants to work on something 100% joyful!

Where can my festival be?

Most festivals are hosted at local independent theatres – they are wonderful to work with, are an asset to their communities, and have the flexibility to offer non-corporate programming. But – we’ve also screened the festival at bike tours (on an outdoor screen), national park visitor centers, outdoor stores, college facilities, and a hospital auditorium. All that’s required is a high-quality DVD/BluRay projector and a sufficient sound system.

How much can I raise for my organization? How much does it cost to run the Festival?

What you raise for your organization is not just about ticket sales! You are welcome to get sponsorships from local businesses – this is a GREAT way to cover your costs and then some! – hold a raffle or silent auction at the event, or sell food or drink to attendees (check with your theatre host about this). Most groups who are reasonably well-connected can raise at least $1,000 for their charity in the first year. Our Portland, ME, partner raised almost $3,000 in their first screening! Plus, you are providing a memorable evening out that builds on its success in future years.

Ciclismo Classico charges a flat Operations Fee for satellite hosts, and then collects a small percentage of net ticket revenues. We have kept our Operations Fee intentionally low to keep the Festival to grassroots organizations.

In respect to our longtime nonprofit partner Adventure Cycling Association, we request that at least a token donation from the proceeds be made to them.

This all sounds great – but I’m a little nervous. How do you help me set up and market my festival?

Once you fill out the interest form, we’ll get in touch and answer any questions you have. Once we receive your deposit, we’ll add you to our calendar and you’ll receive our Marketing & Support toolkit for the Festival. This includes:

• Our Operational Manual with our best practices, from working with sponsors to getting publicity and more
  • Poster and flyer templates
  • Sample sponsorship letter
  • Press release template
  • Event program text (includes capsule descriptions of each film)
  • Social media posts
  • Evaluation forms
  • 3 hi-res stills from included films
  • Day of event timeline and event script

Ready to begin? Contact the Festival Director Karin Turer to get a copy of our interest form with more information on bringing the Festival to YOUR town!

ABOUT CICLISMO CLASSICO

The Ciclismo Classico mission is to offer high-quality, educational, and dreamy itineraries that celebrate the diversity of native peoples and their landscapes.  By combining legendary service and rare cultural experiences, the Ciclismo Classico philosophy continues to energize and transform each and every guest.

As a specialized “boutique” tour operator since 1988, Ciclismo Classico provides the most authentic, unique and exciting vacations in the adventure travel industry. Their well-crafted educational trips in Italy, France, Spain, Austria, and New England are active immersions into local art, language, music and delicious cuisine.   www.ciclismoclassico.com

ABOUT WHEELWORKS

Wheelworks is pleased to support the Ciclismo Classico Bicycle Travel Film Festival. For over forty years, they’ve been part of New England cycling. They’ve seen and participated in the journey and look forward to where it is going next.

Want to host The Bike Travel Film Festival?

Do you have a bicycling cause you would like to raise money for? Are you a Bike Club program director seeking a great show for your Bike Club Audience? The Bike Travel Film Festival is an excellent, turn-key event that can easily raise money, awareness and guaranteed fun for audiences of all ages. One Longfellow Square, a small non-profit performing art and concert venue in Portland, Maine raised $3000 in one film festival showing.

We’ve already expanded our festival to Western Mass, the North Shore, NYC, Maine, and California and are seeking new hosts in communities with an active bicycling community. If you’d like to bring the Ciclismo Classico Bike Travel Film Festival to your hometown, we can show you how.

“This film festival exorcised my inner curmudgeon. After 40 years of riding I had become jaded and non-plussed by all things bicycle.  These films were like a defibrillator for my soul. Now I seek epic adventures – be they around my neighborhood or around my planet – to follow the courageous and curious who produce these films.”     Richard Fries, Director, Cycling Experience, Best Buddies Challenge

To host our Festival, you should be able to:

Publicize the event to your community

We supply the press releases, photos and content about the festival, and you would get the word out, especially to the cycling community!

Find a theatre that will show the festival

The venue doesn’t have to be an “official” theatre – we have also seen the festival screened in a National Park Service Visitor Center, a small auditorium, a dinner club or at

Pay for any fees associated with the festival

Our fee of $250/$500 – the lower fee is if there is a charity beneficiary – and whatever theatre and miscellaneous fees are needed. With reasonable publicity and a venue with a capacity of 100+  festivals have repaid their fees and written a very generous check to their charity beneficiaries.

Stay tuned for more dates and locations!

Lauren Hefferon presenting at an event
Film Festival cookies

Festival Mission

The Festival’s mission is to celebrate all kinds of bicycle travel and to inspire our audiences to hop on a bike and just go!  Whether you ride across the globe or on your local bike path,  there’s nothing that recharges and expands horizons like bicycle travel. The Festival will increase awareness and appreciation for bicycle travel by showcasing independent films that depict the adventure, humor, and personal growth that happens on two-wheeled journeys. We’ve featured films that portray a broad range of experiences and destinations ranging from small African villages to a campground 30 miles from home. We feature the solo bike traveler as well as family reunions on bicycles; an organized tour from inn to inn or a shoestring jaunt with tent and sleeping bag. Ours is the ONLY film festival in the USA that focuses specifically on bicycle travel.

Wheelworks is pleased to support the Ciclismo Classico Bicycle Travel Film Festival. For over forty years, they’ve been part of New England cycling. They’ve seen and participated in the journey and look forward to where it is going next.

Search