Three decades ago Florence is where everything started for Ciclismo Classico. As a long-time Ciclismo Classico guide and full-time resident in Italy–based near Florence–Carol Sicbaldi will introduce you to some of the best Florentine foods and family run botteghe (specialty food shops). On this Mangia Bene Florence! you stroll the historical center of Firenze with a local expert while tasting the regions finest specialties on a fun, informative food lover’s exploration. You’ll visit a mix of cult classic culinary institutions and hidden gems on the tiny streets off famous squares.
You will visit artisan producers such as bakers, family-owned shopkeepers– procuring goods from their own farms–and local wines, a truffle cafe, an olive oil producer, butcher, herb and vegetable grower, gelato artisans and more. You’ll taste prized ingredients such as caliber vintage prosecco, aged balsamic vinegar, local cheeses (ewe’s milk pecorino), artisan cured meats, extra virgin olive oil, truffles and learn all about Florentine’s food history while getting a sense of the city with this specialty gourmet food walk. This tour is a must for true food lovers who want to get down to the grain of the local food culture while meeting some of Florence’s lesser-known cast of foodie characters.
Our Mangia Florence Bene! tours are perfect for discerning food lovers, chefs, bakers, cooks, farm-to-table eaters, and Italian culture enthusiasts. After your food tour, you will feel more confident to return to these shops and know what defines the traditional food landscape. Be prepared for a genuine backdoor journey through these local-loved food shops.
- 5 gourmet tastings, with wine at 2 stops
- A crash course into Florentine food culture and traditional Tuscan goods
- Guided walking tour in the center of Florence, tasting at both cult classics and favorite hidden nooks
- Traditional Tuscan sweet pastries like rice pudding budino or chocolate semolino tartlets with Italian roasted espresso
- Snack like a royal at King-approved truffle cafe’ for Florence’s famous panino tartufato with bubbles (prosecco)
- Visit classic bakeries for Tuscany’s schiacciata flatbread along with seasonal delicacies (i.e. wine grape pie, sweet chestnut and a pine nut cake called castagnaccio, etc)
- Farmstead quality cheese and cured meat tasting with locally produced wine
- Savor in Italian excellence via tastings of Tuscan extra virgin olive oil (EVO)and aged balsamic vinegar–a bonus!
- 2 Wine tastings included (i.e. bubbly with truffles, local red wine with prosciutto, etc)
- Meet local characters and producers
- Gelato, gelato and more gelato!
Logistics & Start Time
- Start time: 10 AM
- Days: Monday-Saturday (Sundays available only for private groups/min 4)
- Duration: 3 hours
- Inclusions: All tastings listed and entrance to the pasta lab for the demo, in-depth guided cultural food tour and personable, bilingual tour guide.
- Tour Cost: $160 per person (max 6)
- Private Tour Cost: Please Inquire. Cost depends on group size and request.
- Not included: Travel insurance, transport, additional tastings and trip cancellation insurance.
- Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided fine wine tastings, visits to gelato laboratory, visits behind-the-scenes at bakeries, etc.
Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided *expert* wine tastings, visits to gelato laboratory, visits behind-the-scenes at bakeries, cooking lessons in a private home in the center of Florence.
Please note: Sundays are a possibility but only for private groups at a premium rate depending on group size. The tours are designed for adults, so those traveling with children under 12 are encouraged to inquire about a private tour where we can bespoke the experience and select venues which are more kid-friendly.
We can accommodate virtually any food lifestyle choice (vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian etc). Just let us know how we can help.
If you would like to start later or earlier than the times listed OR have a party larger than 8, please send an inquiry to email@example.com.