Apennine Splendor: Le Marche, Umbria & Abruzzo
Download a Detailed Itinerary
Our comprehensive itineraries are a one-stop-shop for all the delightful details of our carefully crafted tours, including:
- A thorough daily itinerary
- Details for exact accommodations
- What to expect
- Travel planning tips
Please provide your contact information so that we can say “benvenuto”. After submitting the form, you will be able to download the itinerary immediately.
This is a corner of Italy most don’t get to see!
We start off in Italy’s Green Heart: Umbria. With dazzling, artful Spoleto as our launch pad, we explore this fascinating, history-rich corner of Umbria that naturally spills into her neighboring region of Abruzzo adjoined by Italy’s “spine” – the Apennine mountain range.
Sprinkled into this already thrilling trip, Massimo will lead us on a series of exclusive visits with local pasta grannies, as well as local chefs, farmers, artisans and producers who are still creating and making things as they’ve been done for centuries in the remote villages of Umbria and Abruzzo. The way we see it is: visiting these folks and seeing them in action is just one small way we can contribute to keeping these traditions alive!
We’ll challenge ourselves to face hilly climbs and zig zagging descents of these verdant mountains. Get energized by the unspoiled ruggedness of Abruzzo; the varied scenery, amazing foodie highlights and outstanding regional cultures that blend together to make for the most inspiring, unforgettable trip of the year.
- Cycle the Italian Appennini in Umbria and Abruzzo: the most beautiful mountainous areas of Central Italy.
- Learn about the history and culture of butchery and truffle hunting in Norcia
- Visit pasta grannies and other exclusive visits with authentic farmers and producers
- See the cultural centers of Spoleto, Ascoli Piceno and Norcia.
- Stay at the base of the Gran Sasso, the highest Apennine peak
- Unsurpassable. authentic, gastronomic experiences
- See the home of De Cecco pasta
- Ride through several National park areas: Monti Sibilini, Gran Sasso and Maiella
What to Expect
TerrainHilly with Epic Climbs
MileageAverage Daily: 54 Total: 381
Once you have a trip confirmed, we will feed you a steady diet of additional pre-departure information that includes: How to train, prepare, pack and all the wonderful, inspirational and practical things you want and need to know before you go! Our Travel Advisors will be available to help plan your pre- and post-tour travel.
- Wine kitty & Ciclismo kit (bib & jersey)
- All van assistance and transfers including the final transfer to Sulmona at end of the tour
- Leadership of your expert, bilingual Top Guide(s)
- Cycling clinics
- Carbon bike equipped with Garmin Edge Touring GPS
- Ciclismo Classico “Top Guide” cycling kit (bib & jersey)
- Ciclismo Classico water bottle
- Two water bottle holders
- Map holder on handlebars and a Garmin Edge GPS
- Handlebar bag
- Tire pump
- Combination bike lock
- Gel-padded saddle
- Choice of pedals
- Card with your tour leaders’ mobile phone numbers
- Flat pedals
- Half-toe pedals (without straps)
- Toe cage pedals
- Optional: clipless pedals with shoes
- Optional: your own saddle
- All accommodations
- All breakfasts
- 2 picnic lunches
- 5 dinners
- Wine tastings
- Guided tour of Spoleto and Ascoli
Fly IntoRome (FCO)
Fly Out OfRome (FCO)
Riding TerrainGentle, rolling climbs
This recently restored 4-star hotel has a soothing sitting room done in soft gold and white marble. Antiques & books about the area surround the bar. Gorgeous, spacious rooms with all the amenities plus bathrooms with whirlpool.
Spoleto to Norcia
Average Mileage40 miles
Elevation Gain5,761 ft.
Riding TerrainMany Short Climbs
Tonight we stay at a wonderful farm-stay just outside the Sibillini park. Here they organically cultivate and grow lentils, spelt, and chickpeas. Tonight we dine at the farm restaurant, managed by the Gregori family, owner of the Taverna de ‘Massari, a restaurant of great prestige in Norcia. Emiliano, the chef, creates traditional Umbrian specialities, cooked on the premises and only using organic products.
Norcia to Ascoli Piceno
Average Mileage49 miles
Elevation Gain5,577 ft
Riding TerrainHills and climbing
Palazzo Guiderocchi is situated in one of the oldest parts of town, steps away from one of the most beautiful Italian town parlors: Piazza del Popolo. A recently renovated hotel with beautifully refined features.
Ascoli Piceno to Fonte Cerreto
Average Mileage68 miles
Elevation Gain9,321 ft.
Riding TerrainVery challenging ride with several long climbs
In the beautiful surroundings of two national parks, the Nido Dell’Aquila Hotel is a typical mountain chalet dedicated to those who love nature, sports, and traditions. The refined internal architecture along with the warmth of the wood, create a romantic atmosphere.
Average Mileage72 miles
Elevation Gain6,811 ft.
Riding TerrainRolling with some great climbs
This wonderful hotel is located right in the center of Sulmona. Rooms offers modern amenities.
Average Mileage62 miles
Elevation Gain6,673 ft.
Riding TerrainSeveral climbs and descents
The Hotel Archi del Sole offers an unforgettable welcome in rooms full featured in the historical center of Pescocostanzo.Gabriella and Marco offer Bed-and-Breakfast accomodation, but they can book for you the right local restaurant whether at lunch or dinner time. The structure is made up of 20 rooms in three historical buildings located in the center of Pescocostanzo.
Pescocostanzo to Caramanico
Average Mileage70/75 miles with extra loop to top of Blockhaus
Elevation Gain6,562/8,202 ft. with extra loop to top of Blockhaus
Riding TerrainCoastal riding; Rolling
5 stars SPA hotel in the heart of the Parco Nazionale della Maiella, Comfortable and functional rooms, specifically designed for the guest and thermal baths top it all off!