NEW! One-Day Mangia Bene Foodie Walking Tours
With 30 years of experiencing the best of Italy, it’s only natural that we are Foodie Experts. Wherever we roll and stroll, its second nature for us to seek out authentic culinary experiences and want to share these experiences with our guests. If you are planning a day in Florence or Bologna before or after your trip with us you won’t want to miss our 3 hour Mangia Bene! Foodie Walking Tours created Tuscan based foodie Guru Carolina Sicbaldi. Carolina has created a series of delicious one-day experiences to open markets, pasta labs, private home cooks, food artisans, Italian street food vendors, botteghe (specialty food shops), enoteche (wine libraries), chocolatiers, bakers and professional chefs. While enjoying these beloved cities by foot you will also have a one of a kind culinary experience. Sharing and eating IS the key of life in Italy and sharing the foodie rituals of La Dolce Vita is Carol’s truest passion.
Foodie Walks must be reserved 2 weeks in advance by calling our Ciclismo office at 1-800-866-731.
Mangia Bene Florence!
Three decades ago Florence is where everything started for Ciclismo Classico. As a long-time Ciclismo Classico guide and full-time resident in Italy–based near Florence–Carol Sicbaldi (link to CC bio) will introduce you to some of the best Florentine foods and family run botteghe (specialty food shops). On this Mangia Bene Florence! you stroll the historical center of Firenze with a local expert while tasting the regions finest specialties on a fun, informative food lover’s exploration. You’ll visit a mix of cult classic culinary institutions and hidden gems on the tiny streets off famous squares.
You will visit artisan producers such as bakers, family-owned shopkeepers– procuring goods from their own farms–and local wines, a truffle cafe, an olive oil producer, butcher, herb and vegetable grower, gelato artisans and more. You’ll taste prized ingredients such as caliber vintage prosecco, aged balsamic vinegar, local cheeses (ewe’s milk pecorino), artisan cured meats, extra virgin olive oil, truffles and learn all about Florentine’s food history while getting a sense of the city with this specialty gourmet food walk. This tour is a must for true food lovers who want to get down to the grain of the local food culture while meeting some of Florence’s lesser-known cast of foodie characters.
Our Mangia Florence! tours are perfect for discerning food lovers, chefs, bakers, cooks, farm-to-table eaters, and Italian culture enthusiasts. After your food tour, you will feel more confident to return to these shops and know what defines the traditional food landscape. Be prepared for a genuine backdoor journey through these local-loved food shops.
- 5 gourmet tastings, with wine at 2 stops
A crash course into Florentine food culture and traditional Tuscan goods
- Guided walking tour in the center of Florence, tasting at both cult classics and favorite hidden nooks
- Traditional Tuscan sweet pastries like rice pudding budino or chocolate semolino tartlets with Italian roasted espresso
- Snack like a royal at King-approved truffle cafe’ for Florence’s famous panino tartufato with bubbles (prosecco)
- Visit classic bakeries for Tuscany’s schiacciata flatbread along with seasonal delicacies (i.e. wine grape pie, sweet chestnut and a pine nut cake called castagnaccio, etc)
- Farmstead quality cheese and cured meat tasting with locally produced wine
- Savor in Italian excellence via tastings of Tuscan extra virgin olive oil (EVO)and aged balsamic vinegar–a bonus!
- 2 Wine tastings included (i.e. bubbly with truffles, local red wine with prosciutto, etc)
- Meet local characters and producers
- Gelato, gelato and more gelato!
Mangia Bene Bologna!
Enchanting Bologna is the capital of the Emilia-Romagna region. Situated in north-of-center Italy, fertile and lush, Emilia-Romagna is Italy’s “belly,” and worthy of a pilgrimage by any food enthusiast worth their salt. Bologna is its “navel”. Its monikers include “The Learned” for its ancient university—Europe’s oldest; “The Red” for its rosy rooftops and lefty-Bolshie leanings, and “The Fat One” for its culinary legacy. It has a vibrant historic center and is famed for its towers, churches and signature, lengthy porticoes.
This bespoke food tour in Bologna was designed for food and culture lovers alike and will take you on an incredible journey through Bologna’s–and the region’s–culinary legacy.
We’ll taste traditional freshly baked in-house goods at a buzzing institutional caffe’ and then travel through colorful streets, porticos, historical markets, cultural sites, family-run delis, rich flavors, fresh pastas and gelato to provide a comprehensive overview of this city’s culinary treasure chest. We’ll delight in a handful of Emilia-Romagna’s 40+ consortium protected DOP traditional products like mortadella, real deal Parmigiano-Reggiano, balsamic vinegar, prosciutto di parma and more. You’ll learn (and taste) Bologna’s world-loved pastas like tagliatelle and tortellini during a behind the scenes of a pasta making lesson at a local pasta laboratory. During this exclusive hands-on visit, you’ll be taught by local sfogline–pasta masters–teaching us how tortellini are made (and properly folded) as well as other hand-cut pastas like tagliatelle!
A visit to Bologna is a must for Italian food lovers and this tour a perfect opportunity for those who wish to have a comprehensive, flavorful culinary experience.
- Individual and small-group (6 max) guided food tour in Bologna
- six food tastings; 2 wine tastings included.
- Nibble on famous Bolognese sweet pastries and sip local espresso
- Dive into Emilia-Romagna’s product pantry: several types of deli meats like culatello, prosciutto, mortadella, salami (pork-based) and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese tasting with locally produced dry Lambrusco
- Sip on local semi-sparkling wines: Lambrusco & Pignoletto
- Visit to a local pasta laboratory for a crash-course lesson of Bologna’s fresh pasta
- Learn how to fold tortellini and cut various pasta shapes
- Pasta tasting with wine! Taste Tagliatelle and Tortellini (or ricotta-filled tortelloni for vegetarians)
- Understand traditional, aged balsamic vinegar from Modena with a varied tasting at an old-fashioned family-run specialty goods shop, whose owner also produces the prized, umami-rich balsamic vinegar (this 6th stop not available on Sunday tours)
- Guided food-related cultural stops at select sites (i.e. market district)
- Discover the historical curiosities that have formed Bologna’s food culture
- Meet local characters and purveyors
- Revel in artisanal gelato and Bologna’s mark on the gelato world
Our food tour in Bologna is perfect for enthusiastic eaters, home cooks, history geeks, chefs, farm-to-table enthusiasts and seekers of genuine culture. After your tour, you will feel more confident to return to these shops and know what defines the local food landscape. Be prepared for an authentic backdoor journey through this very Italian food-centric city.
Logistics & Start time:
- Start time: 10 AM
- Days: Monday-Saturday (Sundays available only for private groups/min 4)
- Duration: 3 hours
- Inclusions: All tastings listed and entrance to the pasta lab for the demo, in-depth guided cultural food tour and personable, bilingual tour guide.
- Tour Cost: $160 per person (max 6)
- Private Tour Cost: Please Inquire. Cost depends on group size and request.
- Not included: Travel insurance, transport, additional tastings and trip cancellation insurance.
- Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided fine wine tastings, visits to gelato laboratory, visits behind-the-scenes at bakeries, etc.
Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided *expert* wine tastings, visits to gelato laboratory, visits behind-the-scenes at bakeries, cooking lessons in a private home in the center of Florence.
Please note: Sundays are a possibility but only for private groups at a premium rate depending on group size. The tours are designed for adults, so those traveling with children under 12 are encouraged to inquire about a private tour where we can bespoke the experience and select venues which are more kid-friendly.
We can accommodate virtually any food lifestyle choice (vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian etc). Just let us know how we can help.
If you would like to start later or earlier than the times listed OR have a party larger than 8, please send an inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.